In my last post, I outlined the tools we will need for Java web development and I promised to share with you how I got my tools installed, the list still remains the same as listed below:
- Download Java Development Kit (JDK) and set up Java to run on your computer
- Get a Java IDE (Integrated Development Environment). It will make our lives easier… I will be using NetBeans in my tutorials.
- We need a database – MySQL is available online for free download.Click here to download
There are several other options to check out when it comes to picking a tool and I chose the tools above based on preference. You can check out other options here (I have only tried out the first two (NetBeans and Eclipse) on the list). Now to the main point, we will take the outlined task one after the other.
As outlined, the first step is to install a java development kit (JDK). JDK includes tools that allow developer to develop and run a java application. Remember in one of my tutorials here – happy-new-year-in-java, I explained how to compile and run a java code using the javac and java commands respectively, without the JDk, this will not be possible. JDK has four major components listed below:
- Java compiler – Uses javac command for compiling the Java code
- Java Interpreter/loader – Uses java command to interpret an already compiled java code
- Java Runtime Environment (JRE) – provides environment for running Java code
- Java Documentation generator (JavaDoc) – Used for documentation purpose
- Others are Java Debugger, Java dissembler, etc.
NOTE: You can download and install just JRE if you only want to run a java application but you will need a jdk to handle both development and running of java code.
How to set up JDK
- Download JDK file here. As shown below, there are specific types depending on the type of Operating System (OS) on your computer. For example, if you are using windows x64, you should go for the last option. To download, check Accept License Agreement then click on the right setup for your OS, your download will start immediately.
2. Double click on the downloaded file in your download directory to install – by default JDK will be installed in this directory “C:\Program Files\Java\(jdk version)”.
3. Once the installation is completed, confirm the installation by checking the directory above. (C:\Program Files\Java\….) see sample screenshot below:
- Setting Class path
- Follow the steps on “How to set the class path” in my previous post here-lay-your-bed-this-christmas
- Confirm that the path has been set correctly by opening command prompt and type the javac and java commands to see the list of options.
How to set up NetBeans IDE (Integrated Development Environment)
- Download NetBeans here.
- Double click on the downloaded file to install NetBeans.
- Follow the installation wizard to the end to install.
Watch the recommended videos below, to see this done step by step:
That will be all for now. In my next post, I will be discussing MySQL database Installation and how to set it up. Please go through the links I provided below to learn more about the topic. Should you have any question(s) or require further clarification(s), please feel free to send me an email. Happy coding!!!
Other Recommended Links: